A friend recently asked me to help light up his store front with some copper pipe lamps. I began by cutting some 18mm copper tubing to various sizes. I deburred the edges as well as sanded the joints, and then I dry fitted the copper pipes to see how they fit together.
I then began to solder the various pieces together to make the general shape. The LEDs will be stuck on the inside to this aluminium tubing. I measured the aluminium and cut it into pieces. With the pieces cut, I measured and marked where each LED will go. I then added head sink compound to the back of the LEDs. Epoxy glue was used to stick the LEDs to the aluminium tube
With the LEDs in place, it was time to solder the drive circuit. With the circuit complete, I soldered it to the LEDs and tested that the light worked. The circuit was then attached to the LEDs and to the supply wires. I then fitted the entire assembly in the back of the aluminium tubing. This was then hot glued to hold it in place and to protect it from the elements
I then marked the areas where holes needed to be drilled so the LED light would shine through the copper pipes. I drilled the corresponding holes in the copper pipe. It was now time to insert the LEDs into the copper pipe and adjusted in place. A piece of supply wire was then inserted in the pipe and connected to the LEDs.
I used epoxy glue again to glue the LEDs and to seal the ends of the copper pipes. The lighting parts were then connected to the main copper pipe and a supply wire was run and connected. To hold the 18mm pipe to the larger 22mm T fitting, I used window sealant rubber. I wrapped this sealant around the smaller pipe and slid it into place in the middle of the larger copper T
One last test to make sure the light worked fine. The lamps were attached to a natural piece of Norway spruce by drilling holes into it and attaching it with epoxy. And here are the lamps turned on at night attached to the store front